Jones Park

1102 W. Ave. H, Temple, TX76502
Jones Park given to Temple in 1915 by W. Goodrich Jones

W. Goodrich Jones (1860-1950)
Known as the "Father of Forestry in Texas". Jones came to Temple in 1888, as a banker.  Planted the first tree (a pecan) in town.  This led to establishing arbor day in Texas in 1889.  Through legislation introduced by senator Geo. W Tyler.

In 1914 Jones organized the Texas Forestry Association, which saw the creation of Texas Department of Forestry signed into law in 1915 by Gov. James E. Ferguson.

For 60 years, Jones advocated conservation.  A state forest at Conroe and this park bear his name.  A fellowship in forestry conservation and research has been established by his family.  

Newsletter Signup